Sunday, September 13, 2009

July 15, 2009

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:22 AM, EDT

Isaiah 58: 8-9a

Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousne
ss shall go before you;
The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.'

I was reading in James 1 yesterday when Geneva and I had our quiet time and I had previously made a reference to Isaiah 58.
When I read this I just broke down. He is there for us always. I know that but sometimes I have to quiet myself down even more to be able to get closer to him. Yesterday was one of those times and I was so encouraged and blessed by His Word above.

Geneva has such sweet nurses and staff. Yesterday her nure made me prop my feet up and sleep all day after I had my ultrasound. I'm very thankful because my blood pressure went down and so did the swelling in my ankles. They are about 1/4 the size they were previously. Although not normal, they are much, much improved, as is my blood pressure. I found out that the numbness in my right leg is likely a side effect from my spinal and may take some time to go away but that isn't a top concern as long as I know there aren't any immediate health risks that would prevent me from taking care of everyone.

We had a pleasant surprise last night when the other chest tube came out 12 hrs early! Oh, what joy I had when I could pick up my baby girl without as much fear of pulling on that and I could stand on my feet and not think they were going to collapse under me. I know she is so much more comfortable now. Geneva has been doing great with her feedings (except when she was on morphine) and we think we have a formula that will work. She'll need to put on some weight and have some extra calories while she is recovering from surgery and then we can gradually try switching to breastfeeding over a couple of months. I'm thankful for those that rallied to get me a breast pump here at the hospital. That really means a lot to me.

Oxygen levels are around 98 to 100% on the point 1 level so she is going to hopefully be weaned off this morning.

Her diurectic will begin to be given by mouth this morning now that the chest tube is out. I'll have to learn how to give her all of her medications but I'm not sure how many that will be. I think there are four or five of them.

Our main concern right now are her seizures. They seem to be under control but every time she moans, I run over there to check on her and see if she is having one or if she's just making normal baby noises. I have so much to learn. If it weren't for the seizures, I would be comfortable leaving. The goal is to get a contrasting MRI to see if there is a growth anywhere but that is something that could be done at home if not here but our preference would be to know something before we go home. They could be nothing or a tumor or effects from going on the bypass machine or any number of reasons. We may never know. She might need to be on medication her entire life or she might be weaned off this year.

One of Geneva's incisions is still weeping a little and I'm trying to be extra cautious to make sure that doesn't get infected.

She is sleeping peacefully next to her new toys and one that sings her a lullaby she particularly likes already. Thank you Karen and family. That was a nice surprise.

Our 7yo daughter, Virginia, did break her collar bone when she fell off the swing. We don't know yet if it is the same one she fractured 5 years ago. She's in a sling and I need to find an orthopedic doctor in our town where she can get it examined next week.

Another blessing is that we are so happy with our pediatric cardiologists. One of the nurses said she's never known people to be so crazy about two cardiologists as much as the two we know who will be joining practices next week! Thank you Lord for that sweet blessing too. : ) I feel so much more comfortable knowing they will be providing care to our little angel.

I'm feeling a bit more like a normal "new mom" in that I am still terribly sleep deprived but giddy about our baby! I need to try and rest as much as possible because there will be plenty to do when we get home. Thank you to those who've stopped by. I'm sorry that I don't even remember everyone's names or maybe even who I've spoken to. It just seems like everything over the past 9 days have been a big blur to me. Again, please know how much we appreciate all your prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment