Tuesday, May 19, 2009

April 13,2009

Hi. I was hoping to send an update with our baby’s heart but I fear I can not, as of yet. I was scheduled for a fetal echocardiogram today but when I wouldn’t give my husband’s social security number, I was refused treatment. I tried explaining that the insurance company doesn’t require nor do they even refer to social security numbers any more, I was told that was too bad but the company policy was that they had to have it for billing purposes. Once the EXTREMELY RUDE receptionist spoke with the insurance company (on my cell phone and per my pleasant request), she told them “I don’t care. I’m not going to deal with this any more.” Just prior to this I was told I had 10 minutes to decide if I was going to give my husband’s social security number or pay for the fetal echocardiogram (which you can imagine would be expensive) and get reimbursed from the insurance company what I could, which would be less than what the doctor’s office would get for their UCR. My co-pay was supposed to be $15 and the insurance company verified the office and doctor were in network and would be reimbursed but they didn’t care. I offered other forms of ID if that is what they wanted but they insisted on a social security number for billing. They even had mine on file because someone gave it to one office in a network years ago and it’s been in there ever since so they weren’t concerned about my identity. I asked if the doctor had other appointments and the reply was, “No, he has other things to do today.” Even though my apt was supposed to be from 11-12 I was told that I had to give them the number by 10:45 or could leave and not be seen. It’s one thing for me to be treated unkindly or rudely in a grocery store but it’s another when you are dealing with the sensitivity of a pediatric cardiologist’s office. Needless to say this has caused much stress as I need this information to know whether or not my baby might need heart surgery when she is born in order to survive. It could be that we would need to have a surgical team close by if needed for her to continue living.

If anyone has any advice (besides to give them a social security #), please email. I’m sure there are people without these numbers that still receive medical care. I have no desire for a lawsuit but I would like to receive the medical treatment I believe my daughter needs and they are contractually obligated to give us through the contract they have with our insurance company.

Most importantly, please continue to pray for our newest little blessing and family.

Many blessings,

Stephanie

Psalm 128:3

Fruitful Vine to Harry

Olive Plants around our table:

Dawn (21 yrs)

Jay (12yrs)

Avonlea (10 yrs)

Virginia (6 yrs)

Dabney (5 yrs)

Weston (4 yrs)

and Geneva Marie (due to debut this summer)

No comments:

Post a Comment